Pueblo West Amateur Radio Club, in conjunction with Pueblo Ham Club, schedules periodic VE Sessions at Pueblo West Library, 298 S. Joe Martinez Blvd., Pueblo West, for those wishing to take Amateur Radio examinations. We believe in doing things correctly. To ensure you receive a reputable test, Volunteer Examiners (VEs) from Pueblo West Amateur Radio Club, Pueblo Ham Club, and a VE not associated with either club will be present to supervise the testing.
When you arrive to take your exam, you will need to have the following with you:
- A legal photo ID (driver license or passport). When no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented:
- non-photo ID/driver's license
- birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- social security card
- library card
- utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the FCC Form 605.
- Students may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor's work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN). VEC’s are required by FCC to submit either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application form. If you prefer not to give your SSN, then you may use your FCC issued FRN, if you have one. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC's FAQ page and the FCC's registration instructions page.
If applicable, bring the original and a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license (The wallet card will work fine.) and any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
Two #2 pencils with erasers and a ball point pen.
A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
A fee of $15 (preferably by check made out to ARRL/VEC) for the test.
- If you do not pass the exam, you may take a second one, but there is an additional $15 fee.
- If you do pass the exam and want to attempt the next higher grade test, you can take that test for no additional fee. For example, if you pass the Technician Class, you can also take the General Class exam that day for no extra charge. We suggest that you take the higher class test. Even if you do not pass it, it will give you an idea of the type of questions that will be asked the next time you take it.
There are 35 questions on the Technician exam and the General exams, and 50 questions on the Amateur Extra exams. You can miss 9 questions and still pass the Technician and General examinations, and you can miss 13 and pass Amateur Extra Class exams.
After turning in your test for grading, DO NOT LEAVE. Your test will be graded within a few minutes, and you will be told whether you have passed the exam. If so, you will need to sign another form which will be sent to the FCC. You will also have the opportunity to take the next higher license exam at no charge.
Directions to Pueblo West Library
From U.S. Hwy 50 (Walmart is on NE corner of the intersection), turn south on S. McCulloch Blvd. You will come to a traffic light after one block and there will be fueling stations on the right. Continue on S. McCulloch Blvd and move into the left lane as soon as traffic conditions permit.
The road will curve slightly to the left, then back to the right. You will see a park on the right side of the road, and Vectra Bank on the left. Turn left at the traffic light onto S. Joe Martinez Blvd. Pueblo West Library is on the left, east of Vectra Bank.
VE Sessions are normally held in King Room A or King Room B. As you enter the library from the south, turn to your left. King Room A is directly in front of you. King Room B is on the right side of the short dividing wall leading to King Room A.
Pueblo West Amateur Radio club currently has 11 Volunteer Examiners in its membership to serve your new or license upgrade needs.
If you have further questions, feel free to contact our club at the e-mail address on this website's Index page, or call 719-647-9179.